Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is seeking an energetic and creative high school English Language Arts Teacher to join its growing faculty for the 2022-2023 school year. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students.
- Develop and implement an English Language Arts curriculum that focuses on developing strong readers, writers, and critical thinkers and exposes students to a range of literature representing diverse backgrounds, cultures, and voices.
- Develop and implement a culturally responsive curriculum for either a high school arts elective or high school advisory class for students at varying levels of progress from grades 9 through 12. This includes creating schemes of work and lesson plans, identifying, and selecting instructional resources and methods to meet students’ needs, and preparing the classroom for activities.
- Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum development and on enhancing instructional practices and strategies.
- Regularly assess students’ progress by observing and evaluating performance and development, assigning and grading classwork, homework, tests, and assignments and providing appropriate feedback to students, their parents and colleagues.
- Communicate regularly with the relevant people (learning support specialist, counselor, principals, and parents) about student progress.
- Establish and enforce school rules for students with a positive style and strong classroom management skills.
- Attend school, department, team, and parent meetings.
- Participate in required non-classroom activities, including Back to School Night(s), parent/student conferences, retreats, faculty and Centner meetings, field trips, and special activities and performance events.
- Maintain knowledge of and competency in relevant classroom technology and have a passion for recent developments in teaching resources and methods with the flexibility to incorporate changes into instructional plans and activities.
- Be strictly vigilant about student health and safety.
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by the Centner administration.
Essential skills and experience
- Hold a master’s degree or equivalent experience in English or a related field from an accredited college or university with teaching credentials.
- Have 2-3 years in a lead teacher role, preferably in Language Arts at the high school level.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator.
- Collaborative work style paired with the ability to take initiative.
- Strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction.
Nonessential skills and experience
- Eagerness to learn new technology and systems.
- Strong understanding of teaching through a balanced literacy approach.
- Experience with a problem-solving and discussion-based approach.
- Strong analytical abilities and enthusiasm for data-driven instruction.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth, and learning.
- Experience working closely with diverse families.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.