Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is seeking energetic and creative Orton Gillingham Reading Specialist to join its growing faculty for the 2021-2022 school year. Please indicate your position(s) of interest in your cover letter. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students. Shifts will be 8 hours daily.
- Teach reading and language arts to Elementary School students.
- Keep current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for the continual improvement of the school's curriculum.
- Develop lesson plans consistent with established guidelines.
- Motivate students to develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge to provide an effective educational foundation, in accordance with each student’s ability.
- Re-teach, reinforce, and/or consolidate specific reading skills or concepts with struggling students through intervention groups as needed.
- Provide accelerated reading instruction and enrichment as needed to students.
- Provide support in writing skills.
- Refine assessment practices to establish goals and objectives for students using developmentally appropriate evaluation procedures, and regularly review these with teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Maintain accurate and completes student records and generates progress reports as required
- Act as a liaison between school, parents, and outside support specialists.
- Teach in-person with the ability to pivot to teach through distance learning as needed.
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member and participate in team meetings for grades and divisions, and regular faculty/staff meetings.
- Provide weekly coverage for recess, lunch and arrival/dismissal duties.
Essential skills and experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in education, teaching, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least two years of teaching reading experience in a K-8 setting.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator.
- Collaborative work style paired with the ability to take initiative.
- Strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction.
- Experience with the Orton Gillingham reading approach and/or Wilson Foundations a plus.
Nonessential skills and experience
- Eagerness to learn new technology and systems.
- Strong understanding of teaching through a balanced literacy approach.
- Experience with a problem-solving and discussion-based mathematics approach.
- Strong analytical abilities and enthusiasm for data-driven instruction.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth, and learning.
- Experience working closely with diverse families.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state, or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.