Who We Are:
The Dallas Express is non-partisan, non-profit, and exists to provide an unbiased, fact-based publication to serve the Dallas community.
We are a general interest daily news source covering events, activities, and citizens of the City of Dallas and Dallas County.
The Dallas Express was founded in 2021 to fill a void in our Metroplex communities for fact-based, non- opinion news. We believe that news should be reported dispassionately to place emphasis on facts over all else. News reports can be direct and even hard-edged, but they should never be “spun” or carry editorial opinions to suit the political persuasions of our reporters or editors.
The Job: Investigative Reporter (Full Time)
Responsibilities and duties:
- Work with senior level staff on special assignments important to the publisher and the macro level telos of Dallas Express.
- Carrying out "deep dives" on specific pieces that may take multiple days or weeks of research to draft.
- Hit the streets: interview people, keep your ear to the ground, and break news.
- Pitch stories: find what’s important, propose stories, and carry them to completion.
- Be able to analyze complex sets of data and summarize in a clear and concise manner.
- Be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and quality of Dallas Express’ articles and written material.
- Provide meticulous attention to detail.
- Additional duties may also include formatting articles in Word Press, sourcing appropriate photographs, creating captions for social media, etc.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in investigative journalism.
- An absolute enthusiasm for reading and editing a variety of news stories.
- A compelling command of the English language and the ability to quickly and effectively find errors, fix grammar and proofread with ease.
- The ability to multitask and handle multiple projects and stories simultaneously and professionally.
- The willingness, commitment, and stamina to work whenever and wherever there is a need to get stories ready for publishing.
- Familiarity with the process and fast-paced world of journalism. Experience is a plus.
- The ability to work and manage effectively within time constraints and deadlines.
- The independence of a self-starter while still engaging in selfless collaboration with a close-knit team.
- Located in or willing to move to Dallas, Texas.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary range of $40,000 to $80,000.
- The Dallas Expressoffers health and dental insurance, 401(k), and paid time off.