Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is looking for a Math Specialist to join its growing faculty for the 2021-22 school year.Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students. Shifts will be 8 hours daily.
- Keep current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for the continual improvement of the school's curriculum
- Develop lesson plans consistent with established guidelines
- Motivate students to develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge to provide an effective educational foundation, in accordance with each student’s ability
- Re-teach, reinforce, and/or consolidate specific math skills or concepts with struggling math students through intervention groups as needed.
- Provide accelerated math instruction and enrichment as needed to students
- Capitalize on cross-curricular opportunities with a particular emphasis on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) curriculum; thoughtfully integrate technology that engages students in mathematical thinking.
- Refine assessment practices to establish goals and objectives for students using developmentally appropriate evaluation procedures, and regularly review these with teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Maintain accurate and completes student records and generates progress reports as required
- Act as a liaison between school, parents, and outside support specialists
- Teach in-person with the ability to pivot to teach through distance learning as needed
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member and participate in team meetings for grades and divisions, and regular faculty/staff meetings
- Provide weekly coverage for recess, lunch and arrival/dismissal duties
- Florida teaching credential preferred, including a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.
- Minimum of three years of teaching mathematics in a K-8 setting.
- Mathematics Specialist endorsement preferred.
- Familiarity and proficiency with teaching Math in Focus or another Singapore Math based approach.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers, fractions and decimals; create and interpret graphs; compute ratio and percent and use a calculator.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to establish effective rapport with students, staff members, and parents.
- An openness to teach in the elementary and/or middle schools, if needed.
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices.
- Comfort with technology and an openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom; experience with Google Classroom, Zoom, SeeSaw and other online platforms is a plus.
- A positive outlook and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state, or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.