The Product Support Manager for Parts Sales is responsible for all parts inventory, personnel and sales at a location.
Customer Service Duties and Expectations
- Solve customer problems and keep customers on the job by assisting them in the store and on the phone in a friendly, courteous, timely manner; always considering accuracy in diagnosing customer needs, speed of order fulfillment and overall parts department activity.
- Keep customers on the job by recommending other options to keep him or her working, such as, rental machines, special tools, shop products and premium maintenance items.
- Solve customer problems by providing a certain level of technical expertise that not only gets the customer the correct part in a timely manner, but also makes suggestions.
- Help the team help our customers by keeping constant and consistent communication with the rest of the department(s) in order to keep team members informed of any issues and/or opportunities.
- Make customers and team members feel welcome and appreciated by maintaining the showroom, displays, parts work and stock areas for cleanliness and organization.
- Provide the customer with detailed estimates of the cost of needed and recommended parts.
- Keep the customer informed throughout the sales and order process of any changes in cost or time – always considering the customer’s needs for timely service.
- Collect appropriate money and/or complete the appropriate billing procedures for customer purchases following all company guidelines and pricing structures.
- Assist customers at the counter and on the phone with technical questions while keeping in mind the other priorities of the department.
- Maintain strong customer relationships and regularly update the customer information in the dealerships business system.
- Follow up on estimates and make outgoing calls to drive more business into the dealership.
Managerial Duties and Expectations
- Schedule and train parts department staff in order to guarantee that customers are assisted efficiently and are provided with the expertise that they need. Assist with customer and problem escalations to not just develop satisfied customers, but loyal customers.
- Monitor staff time and attendance to manage staffing levels, payroll costs and employee performance.
- Attend company, department and vendor training sessions when assigned (some light travel may be required), and continually increase your expertise through online training systems and through technical bulletins
- Ensure that all parts orders are placed accurately and efficiently taking into consideration, customer needs and profitability of the dealership.
- Coordinate with vendors to stay on top of all ordering programs, return and payment policies, and all activities needed to keep the dealership in good standing. Continually look for the least expensive and most efficient ordering channels for non-captive parts needs.
- Manage the parts inventory, including regular parts returns, in order to meet the goals of the dealership for inventory turn rates, fill from stock rates and gross margin. Manage the team to perform regular cycle counts to maintain inventory accuracy.
- Document and standardize departmental processes in coordination with management and the needs and policies across all stores.
- Coordinate with management and the parts managers from all store locations to assist all of the dealership’s customers and to ensure that activities and service levels are standardized.
- Make recommendations to the team and management that will help serve customers better or make improvements to dealership facilities and processes.
- Enter data and update dealership databases as needed to provide better information to customers and team members. Help set and enforce standards on data entry, and train team how to find and use the information.