This position will perform the lay-out, cut, fit-up and welding of pressure vessels to ASME code. This position is expected to uphold the mission, vision and values established by the organization. This position is expected to uphold the mission, vision and values established by the organization.
- Welds together metal components of products specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding procedure(s) or oral instruction(s)
- Sets controls on welding machine in conformance with WPS
- May weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions as qualified.
- Apply filler rod/wire/electrode to supply weld metal both manually and mechanically
- Clean or degrease weld joint or work-piece using wire brush, portable grinder or chemical bath/spray
- Repair parts and fill holes as necessary
- Prepare parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces
- Remove excess weld slag and spatter using hand scraper or power chipper
- Preheat workpiece using hand torch or heating furnace per WPD, assigned temperature or shop standard
- Position and clamp workpieces together or assemble them in jig or fixture
- Tack assemblies together using approved WPS
- Cut metal pieces or structural shapes
- May operate other machine shop equipment to prepare components for welding
- Adheres to all company health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of self, staff and visitors.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- High familiarity in welding of piping, formed shells, forged heads, and forged flanges
- Experience working with stainless and carbon steels
- Experience working with overhead cranes
- Familiarity with WPS and PQR’s
- Ability to read blueprints, use measuring equipment such as measuring tape or calipers
- Ability to read, write and speak in the English language
- Previous experience working with ASME pressure vessel code including work with low temperatures/low carbon steel welding
- Experience working with exotic metals
This position will not have supervisory responsibility.